Law Office of Daniel Jensen, P.C.

Serving Santa Clara County

Up to 30 minutes, no charge initial consultation with an Attorney
All appointments offered in person only.

Contact us for Your Initial 30 Minute


All consultation appointments will be offered in person only

We speak English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, Slovak and Czech.

Privacy Policy

Visitation Rights of Grandparents

If a child’s parents refuse to let the grandparents visit, grandparents can ask the court for visitation rights. In order for a judge to grant these rights, a pre-existing and proven bond between the grandparents and grandchild must be present. The judge will also evaluate the child’s best interest in having visitation rights with their grandparents. It is, however, best to try to resolve issues regarding visitation rights outside of court.

When are Visitation Orders Granted?

Generally, visitation rights are not given if a child’s parents are still married. However, certain exceptions can be made, such as if any of the following applies:

  • The child’s parents are living separately
  • One parent has been missing longer than a month
  • One parent petitions with the grandparents for visitation
  • The child doesn’t live with either parent
  • The child is adopted by a stepparent.

If a grandparent is granted visitation and any new circumstances are introduced to the situation, the parents can request for a revocation of the grandparent’s visitation rights.

Contact a Santa Clara Family Law Attorney For Help

Family legal battles can be overwhelming, especially when children are involved. The highly qualified family lawyers of the [firm-name] have extensive experience dealing with sensitive issues like child visitation, and we assure you that we will act with your child or grandchild’s best interest in mind. At the [firm-name], it is important to our Santa Clara legal team that all parties feel heard and fairly represented, because we understand how important your relationship with your family is. Contact us at [phone-number] today.

© 2019 Law Office of Daniel Jensen, P.C. All Rights Reserved.